Tuesday 24 June 2014

David Villa's Unceremonial End to Spain Career

David Villa extended his record goalscoring run at the World Cup on Monday and broke down in tears as he left the field as a Spain player for the final time.

"I have always had a lot of love for the national team and it has always been what I dreamed about," said the 32-year-old.

"I would play until I am 55 but that is impossible and I have to be realistic."

Villa ended his club career in European football as a champion with Atletico Madrid as they became the first side outside Real Madrid and Barcelona to win La Liga for 10 years.

Yet, having taken the decision to move to New York City in Major League Soccer after a brief stint with Melbourne City in the coming months, Villa knows the move also ends his chances of competing at the top level with Spain.

"I have taken a decision to go to the MLS and, therefore, I will not be playing for a few months which makes things difficult."

He was annoyed when he came off because he wanted to play until the last minute.

0 comments:

Post a Comment